The popular, straightforward
and simple to use emissions calculator.
COPERT is a software tool used world-wide to calculate air pollutant and greenhouse gas emissions from road transport. The development of COPERT is coordinated by the European Environment Agency (EEA), in the framework of the activities of the European Topic Centre for Air Pollution and Climate Change Mitigation. The European Commission's Joint Research Centre manages the scientific development of the model. COPERT has been developed for official road transport emission inventory preparation in EEA member countries. However, it is applicable to all relevant research, scientific and academic applications.
The COPERT methodology is part of the EMEP/EEA air pollutant emission inventory guidebook for the calculation of air pollutant emissions and is consistent with the 2006 IPCC Guidelines for the calculation of greenhouse gas emissions. The use of a software tool to calculate road transport emissions allows for a transparent and standardized, hence consistent and comparable data collecting and emissions reporting procedure, in accordance with the requirements of international conventions and protocols and EU legislation.
You can purchase COPERT countries data from our online store.
COPERT draws its origins in a methodology developed by a working group which was set up explicitly for this purpose in 1989 (COPERT 85). This was then followed by COPERT 90 (1993), COPERT II (1997) and COPERT III (1999). The current version is a synthesis of results of several large-scale activities and dedicated projects, such as:
- Dedicated projects funded by the Joint Research Centre / Transport and Air Quality Unit(more can be found here)
- The annual work-programme of the European Topic Centre for Air Pollution and Climate Change Mitigation (ETC/ACM)
- The European Research Group on Mobile Emission Sources (ERMES) workprogramme.
- The MEET project (Methodologies to Estimate Emissions from Transport), a European Commission (DG VII) sponsored project within 4th Framework Program (1996-1998)
- The PARTICULATES project (Characterisation of Exhaust Particulate Emissions from Road Vehicles), a European Commission (DG Transport) PROJECT within the 5th Framework Program (2000-2003)
- The ARTEMIS project (Assessment and Reliability of Transport Emission Models and Inventory Systems), a European Commission (DG Transport) PROJECT within the 5th Framework Program (2000-2007)
- A joint JRC/CONCAWE/ACEA project on fuel evaporation from gasoline vehicles (2005-2007)
Emission factor work conducted by the HBEFA group.